There are a few different ways to volunteer at the Makery. Anything you can do to help with our on-going drop-in sessions, repair projects and generally using the workshop and making it an active and welcoming space is fantastic. Here are some ideas.
- Drop-in Host: This doesn’t need any technical skills just people skills. Could you welcome people into our open drop-in sessions, make them a brew, let them know what activities are available and make them feel at home? If so we need you
- Drop-in Supporter: Would you, could you help people with any of the following (training provided) – getting logged on to computers, getting started on sewing machines and generally finding and choosing the right tool for the job. It’s a great way to pick up new skills, let us know if you can help.
- Project Volunteer: We have a lot of on-going repairing, reusing and refurbishing projects. Some are listed here but there are many more. Could you help us with any of those? We can give you a bit of training to get you started?
- Specialist Drop-in or Workshop Volunteer: Perhaps you have an art, craft or repairing skill that you would be prepared to help others to learn. You may be up for running a one off workshop or short course. Or you may only be able to spare a couple of hours every now and then at a drop in. Let us know and we’ll help you connect with some people who will be happy to learn from you.
- Makery or Tool Library Member: If none of the above applies, you can still help the project by being a proactive memner of the space and letting people know what’s good about it.
When are Drop-In Sessions?
You may not be able to make it every week – but you could share a time slot with some one.
Making Decisions and Volunteer Meetings
Every 2 or 3 months we have a volunteer meeting to make decisions and to work out how we communicate and what we need to do to run the drop ins and members sessions.
There are notes from the last ones here – https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1HRzcBOwK7B8n3shWljPKOsXjyTKwj-4iIf you want to get more involved in the decision making process then coming to that meeting and reading those notes is the best way to do that. Also make sure you have been added to the firstname.lastname@example.org email group.
Being a Member of the Makery
If you just want to come in and use the space and equipment to get on with your own projects then you are very welcome to do this. As well as the open drop-in sessions we also have members sessions for people like you who know what they want to get on with without too much support.
In the future we will ask members to do a pay-what-you feel donation but to get started membership for a year is free.We’ll give you an induction to using the workshop and support you if you do need any help in using new tools if and when you need that.
Come to one of our drop in sessions to Join the Makery
Find out More
Please get in touch with us to find out more about volunteering or being a member. You can email us on todmordenmakery @ gmail.com – or pop down to a drop in. Also, be sure to have signed up for our updates as well here.